Has your skin lost its glow? Are you struggling with acne scarring? Or maybe you’ve noticed more fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots popping up. If so, it may be time for some skin-loving rejuvenation with microneedling.
Microneedling targets a wide variety of skin issues by using the body’s own restorative powers. It can make your skin look brighter, tighter, and smoother restoring your natural glow in just a short time.
What is microneedling?
Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic dermatological procedure that boosts collagen and revitalizes the skin. It’s formally known as ‘Collagen Induction Therapy’ (CIT) because each treatment restores up to a year’s worth of lost collagen while also improving the overall appearance of your skin.
So how does it work? Microneedling involves introducing thousands of microchannels into the skin with small, sterilized needles. This stimulates your body to activate its own natural wound healing mechanism stimulating the production of collagen and elastin which rejuvenates your skin from the inside out.
There are three phases in the wound healing process:
- Inflammation: Introducing microchannels into the skin using a medical-grade microneedling device stimulates your immune system to increase blood flow which removes debris and cleans up the deep layers of the skin. This is the first step in creating new tissue.
- Proliferation: As the ‘wound’ is repaired, granulation cells contribute to the growth of the extracellular matrix and new vascular structures. This is the structural base for new tissue growth.
- Remodeling: the final step in the rejuvenation process is the creation of new dermal tissue and vascular supply leading to skin rejuvenation.
Microneedling stimulates the growth of collagen and elastin which helps to fill fine lines, improve acne scars, smooth out large pores, and brighten the skin. The result is a fresher-looking you with plumper, smoother, and more youthful-looking skin.
Benefits of microneedling
The benefits of microneedling are broad, lasting, and can address:
- Dull texture, tone, or ‘low glow’
- Acne and deep acne scars
- Fine lines
- Uneven skin texture
- Large pores
- Minor skin laxity
- Stretch marks
- Sun damage
- Dark spots or skin discoloration (hyperpigmentation)
Why choose microneedling?
A microneedling procedure takes on average 30-60 minutes and is generally considered painless. It is popular with patients and physicians because it is safe, effective and the results are lasting.
What to expect with microneedling?
Your dermatologist will apply numbing cream on the treated area so you may not feel the procedure. Then your doctor will use a medical-grade microneedling device to apply the microneedles to the treatment area.
Your doctor may offer you post-procedure products to optimize your healing.
Microneedling is safe on all skin types. This makes it an excellent option for patients with darker skin tones for whom laser and other treatments may not be safe.
Side effects of microneedling
Although microneedling is safe, there are a few things to consider:
- Each microneedling session takes about 30-60 minutes, depending on the size and location of the area being treated. Most people require three to six treatments for optimal results. Treatments are generally scheduled two to six weeks apart. While superficial results are quicker to come, it may take many weeks to realize the full results of treatment.
- Microneedling is safe for healthy adults. Keep in mind, the procedure requires your skin to be broken in order to initiate the regeneration process. It may up to several days for your skin to fully heal making the procedure better suited for people who do not have trouble healing. If you have a chronic skin or health condition, you should discuss it with your doctor.
- Not everyone is a good candidate. Microneedling isn’t recommended for folks with a history of keloid scars, scleroderma, collagen vascular disease, fungal infections, or a history of eczema and psoriasis. It’s also not recommended if you’re immunosuppressed, pregnant, or nursing.
- Rare side effects may include scarring and infection can occur. The risk of infection is low, but you want to make sure you keep the treatment area clean after your procedure. Your doctor will provide you with written instructions to make this as simple as possible.
- Expect some post-procedure redness. This usually subsides within 24 hours. It’s also normal to have minor tenderness to the touch after each treatment. You may also experience a feeling of tightness in the first day or two after your treatment. Other side effects may include bruising and scabbing post-procedure due to possible pinpoint bleeding during your procedure. Your skin should feel and look normal within 24 hours and largely be healed after three days.
Costs of microneedling
You’ll want to consult with your doctor about your desired results and how many treatments you may need. Keep in mind, insurance does not cover cosmetic procedures and the costs of microneedling can vary based on:
- the location and overall surface area being treated
- number of follow-up visits required
- added topical serums, radiofrequency, or platelet-rich plasma
It’s important to know, microneedling is a medical procedure that should only be performed by a licensed medical professional. It is not equivalent to do-it-yourself home microneedling kits. It’s best to seek out a qualified licensed professional who is properly trained and will perform the treatments in a sterilized setting. While home rollers can temporarily stimulate blood vessels to reduce puffiness and brighten your skin, they lack the robust and lasting effects of the microneedling procedure that can only be performed by a dermatologist.
If you’re considering a cosmetic procedure, discuss your concerns with your dermatologist. They can advise you on what’s best for your skin based on many factors:
- your age
- your health
- skin tone and texture
- problem spots
- possible side effects
- your treatment outcome
If you are ready to truly and meaningfully rejuvenate your skin, microneedling may be the treatment of choice for you. Book a consultation today and get started on the road to your best skin.
For more information, watch the video below to learn more about microneedling.
APDerm offers a full line of products, along with medical, cosmetic, and surgical procedures, that can revitalize your skin without plastic surgery. Contact APDerm today to discuss treatment options or schedule a consultation for microneedling.