Are you tired of that double chin staring back at you in the mirror or in photos? Have you lost weight and long for a taut chin and jawline? Or have you hit midlife and noticed your skin starting to sag?
If you can’t afford plastic surgery or don’t want to go under the knife, a Kybella treatment is an affordable alternative that can be done at an APDerm office. Kybella® is the first and only FDA-approved injectable to help treat and reduce the appearance of a double chin.
Why try Kybella®?
Known as submental fat or a double chin, stubborn or excessive fat under your chin may not go away with diet and exercise alone. Kybella cosmetic injectable can take years – and pounds – off your face.
Submental fat can:
- affect your self-esteem
- make you look older
- make you appear heavier than you actually are
Causes of submental fat include:
- Weight gain or loss
What is Kybella®?
Approved by the Food and Drug Administration in 2015, this nonsurgical injection technique reduces excess fat and sagging under the chin. You want to find a reputable doctor or dermatologist trained in Kybella® to administer the injections.
- Kybella® is a prescription medicine used to target and destroy fat cells beneath the chin.
- The active ingredient in Kybella® is a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule that helps break down and absorb fat. The synthetic form used for Kybella® treatments can kill other cells in the process as well, so you want to seek out a trained professional to administer the injections.
- Once injected, the acid destroys fat cells, so it can’t store fat anymore.
- Treatments take about 15 to 20 minutes, and several may be needed.
- Safe alternative to surgical procedures such as liposuction or a facelift.
- No incisions required and minimal downtime after treatments.
- A clinical trial concluded Kybella® to be safe and effective, with more than 80 percent of participants satisfied with the results and their appearance.
- Recommended for healthy adults 18 years or older with moderate to severe fat beneath the chin.
- Discuss the treatment with your doctor if you’re planning to have facial surgery, have trouble swallowing, are pregnant or nursing, or have an infection in the treatment area.
What to expect during a Kybella® treatment?
Relatively quick and painless, a Kybella treatment doesn’t require much special preparation. It’s done during an in-office visit. But it is best to schedule the treatment around any major life events because it can require several appointments.
- You’ll want to wash your face before the procedure to help reduce the risk of infection and take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- At the appointment, your doctor will mark the injection sites with a marker.
- Your provider may use local anesthesia or apply ice/cold packs to reduce pain or discomfort.
- It can take 20 to 30 and up to 50 injections under the chin.
- The acid gradually kills fat cells, which the body metabolizes over the following weeks.
- Multiple treatments may be necessary to achieve desired results.
- Common side effects include pain, swelling, bruising, redness, and numbness. Most side effects subside in one to two weeks.
- After-care may include an ice or a cold pack on the treatment area and a pain reliever but talk to your doctor about the best one.
In some cases, serious side effects have been reported. Be on the lookout for any facial muscle weakness, trouble swallowing, an uneven smile, excessive swelling or bruising, or nerve injury in the jaw. You should contact your doctor if you experience any of these adverse side effects or have other concerns.
How many Kybella treatments are needed?
Your aesthetic goals and desired look after the treatment should be discussed in advance. The number of Kybella® treatments needed can vary for each person.
- Most people require more than one treatment.
- In clinical studies, it took two to four treatments to achieve visible results.
- Some people require up to six Kybella® treatments, with at least one month between each session. Six treatments were necessary in 59 percent of cases although, APDerm’s dermatologist report that most patients only require 2-3 treatments.
How long does Kybella® last?
Most patients report good, long-lasting results after an initial Kybella treatment. Once the fat cells are destroyed, further treatment is unnecessary since fat cells can no longer store fat.
How much does Kybella® cost?
Although a Kybella treatment is a good alternative to surgery, each treatment costs $725 on average. The total cost is determined by the number of treatments, your physician’s fees, and the region where you live. Since Kybella® is a cosmetic procedure, it is not covered by insurance.
APDerm offers a full line of products, along with medical, cosmetic, and surgical procedures that can revitalize your skin in time for summer. Contact APDerm today if you are concerned about submental fullness, sagging skin, or to schedule a consultation for cosmetic services.