A form of Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT), CIT creates controlled injuries underneath the skin’s surface. The injury induces the body to respond through the formation of new tissue. In addition to inducing collagen, the channels made from the micro-needles allow topical gels and creams to be absorbed more effectively through the top layer of skin. Most cases need four-to-six treatments, each spaced at two-to-six week intervals. You may require a series of sessions to obtain your desired outcome.
Microneedling causes your skin to plumpen and thicken, ultimately reducing the appearance of scars, fine lines and other skin texture changes.
Who is a good candidate for Microneedling?
Any patient with:
- Fine lines or moderate wrinkles, uneven texture of the skin
- Moderate skin laxity (looseness)
- Diminished texture, tone, color, no ‘glow’
- Atrophic (depressed) acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Traumatic scars
- Sun damage
Who is NOT a good candidate for Microneedling?
Any patient with:
- Keloid scars
- Scleroderma, collagen vascular diseases or fungal infection
- Pregnant or nursing
- History of severe eczema
- Psoriasis and other chronic conditions
Relative contraindications that can be managed through the procedure:
- History of Herpes Simplex infections (can be managed with medication prescribed before first procedure)
- History diabetes
- Presence of raised moles or warts on the targeted area (can be avoided)
What happens during the procedure?
Many of our offices use the Bellus Medical SkinPen® Microneedling System, which allows for controlled induction of the skin’s self-repair mechanism by creating micro “injuries,” which trigger new collagen synthesis. The procedure is performed in a safe and precise manner with the use of the sterile microneedle cartridge and Bio-Sheath for single use only.
The microneedling procedure is normally completed within 30-60 minutes, depending on the required treatment and anatomical site.
Are there side effects to microneedling?
After the procedure, the skin will be red and flushed in appearance in a similar way to a moderate sunburn. You may also experience skin tightness and mild sensitivity to touch on the area being treated. The skin’s redness will diminish greatly after a few hours following the treatment. Within 24 hours, the surface of the skin typically appears and feels more normal. After three days, the skin is often healed and your normal appearance fully restored. For the first three days, it is important to avoid sun exposure and sweaty activity.
Numbing cream is applied prior to the microneedling treatment to minimize any pain that is felt during the procedure. Patients typically find it to be quite tolerable.
Is there downtime required to recover from the procedure? What is the aftercare?
Expect redness or even pinpoints of bleeding on days one-three after the procedure. By day two, most patients look like they have a sunburn and they may be dry. The skin is usually fully recovered by day four after the procedure.
The skincare regimen noted below will help soothe the skin:
- If you have any signs or symptoms of a cold sore, please call ahead of time so that we can prescribe you an antiviral medication.
- Avoid sweaty gym workouts/exercise, hospital settings where you might be exposed to an infection, dirty jobs (like cleaning the bathroom, etc.) for three days after the procedure.
- No mineral sunscreen or makeup (containing Zinc or Titanium) for two days after the procedure, try to avoid the sun during this time and use a hat instead of SPF.
- No vitamin C serum or retinoids for four days after the procedure.
- No glycolic acid for four days after the procedure.
- Men: Avoid shaving for three-four days after the procedure (you may start shaving when your skin does not feel irritated anymore).
Additional skincare tips after microneedling:
- Wash with a gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil® or Hydrating Cleanser (available at local drugstores)
- Apply Hyaluronic Acid Serum every two-three hours for the remainder of the first day and continue through the next two days.
- Stgay four, apply SkinMedica® TNS Recovery Complex® (purchase at our office) once a day.
How many microneedling sessions should I expect?
- For Facial Rejuvenation/Collagen Stimulation: Plan 3-5 sessions, each 2-4 weeks apart
- For Perioral (around the mouth) wrinkles: Plan 5 sessions, each 2-4 weeks apart
- For Acne Scars: Plan 3-6 sessions, each 3-6 weeks apart
- For Stretch Marks: Plan 3-6 sessions, each 4-6 weeks apart
Want to learn more about microneedling?
To learn more, use the buttons below to find a clinician or location near you that offers microneedling treatment. Please note that results vary between individuals. All new patients must attend a consultation prior to getting microneedling treatment.