What is the Profound treatment?
The Profound treatment is a nonsurgical alternative for treating facial wrinkles and the appearance of cellulite. It combines radiofrequency (RF) energy with ultrafine needles (microneedles) to renew your skin from within. Healthcare providers across the globe rely on the Profound treatment to provide lasting wrinkle reduction for their patients.
What can the Profound system treat?
As we age, our skin begins to lose its elasticity and becomes more fragile. The three critical reasons are the appearance of facial wrinkles are: our body’s collagen levels decreasing, elastin production stopping and hyaluronic acid diminishing.
The Profound treatment stimulates the body to create new elastin to bring the snap back to aging skin, collagen to revitalize your skin, and hyaluronic acid—all in a single treatment.
How does the Profound treatment work?
It delivers precise temperatures to the deep layers of your skin, exactly where energy delivery is most beneficial. This energy breaks down tissue in order to trigger your body’s natural healing process, stimulating your body to naturally create new elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid to revitalize the skin and build new, healthy tissue.
The Profound system is an energy-based solution that produces a 100% response rate to facial wrinkles with only one treatment.2,3,a The end result is younger, smoother-looking skin – with minimal downtime.2,3,5
Surgery is not the only option to reduce the signs of aging. The Profound treatment is a single treatment, nonsurgical alternative to a facelift.
It awakens your body’s own natural healing process by stimulating the production of 3 skin elements: collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid.1,5 These 3 elements create lasting volume and firmness for smoother-, younger-looking skin.15-17
Profound treatment is different from other treatments for wrinkles and cellulite. It is the only RF injectable energy treatment that stimulates and triggers the creation of new elastin, collagen, and hyaluronic acid—the 3 skin fundamentals for smooth, youthful-looking skin. The Profound treatment is what helps patients get the snap back to their aging skin.
What should I expect from a Profound treatment?
Prior to treatment, you will have a personalized Profound treatment consultation to determine your goals and to establish the target area for treatment. On the day of your treatment, a local anesthetic may be applied to help you manage comfort. We’ll administer treatment with the Profound system handpiece, which will deliver pulses of energy to the targeted areas.
Total treatment time is approximately 1 hour, depending on the treatment area. Typically, patients can return to their normal activities within 24 hours after treatment. We’ll discuss your individual care plan and recovery during your initial consultation.
After your Profound treatment for facial wrinkle reduction, you may experience minor swelling or bruising. In clinical studies, these events resolved within 5 to 10 days, depending on treatment area and anesthesia protocol.
Profound RF Results
Our own Dr. Paula Moskowitz was the first patient in our office treated by the Profound RF device. It took several months to see the results of the procedure (1st picture shows Dr. Moskowitz before and after). Three years later the effects have persisted by at least 65-75% or more from a single treatment (2nd picture shows Dr. Moskowitz before and three years later).
Additional Before and After Results
Before Profound RF After Profound RF
Before Profound RF After Profound RF
a. Data on file. Individual results may vary.
- Hantash BM, Ubeid AA, Chang H, Kafi R, Renton B. Bipolar fractional radiofrequency treatment induces neoelastogenesis and neocollagenesis. Lasers Surg Med. 2009;41(1):1-9.
- Profound 510(k) clearance (K161043), September 2016.
- Alexiades-Armenakas M, Newman J, Willey A, et al. Prospective multicenter clinical trial of a minimally invasive temperature-controlled bipolar fractional radiofrequency system for rhytid and laxity treatment. Dermatol Surg. 2013;39(2):263-273.
- Howard D. Structural changes associated with aging skin. The International Dermal Institute website. http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/library/11_article_Structural_Changes_AssociatAs_with_Aging_Skin.html. Accessed August 31, 2018.
- Willey A, Kilmer S, Newman J, et al. Elastometry and clinical results after bipolar radiofrequency treatment of skin. Dermatol Surg. 2010;36(6):877-884.
- Alexiades M, Berube D. Randomized, blinded, 3-arm clinical trial assessing optimal temperature and duration for treatment with minimally invasive fractional radiofrequency. Dermatol Surg. 2015;41(5):623-632.
- Candela, data on file.
- Berube D. How Profound effectively treats cellulite via collagenesis and elastogenesis. 2016. Candela, data on file.
- Berube D. Real-time temperature feedback for clinical reproducibility: the mechanism of action of Profound. 2015. Candela, data on file.
- Alexiades-Armenakas M, Rosenberg D, Renton B, Dover J, Arndt K. Blinded, randomized, quantitative grading comparison of minimally invasive, fractional radiofrequency and surgical face-lift to treat skin laxity. Arch Dermatol. 2010;146(4):396-405.
- Alexiades M, Munavalli G, Goldberg D, Berube D. Prospective multicenter clinical trial of a temperature-controlled subcutaneous microneedle fractional bipolar radiofrequency system for the treatment of cellulite. Dermatol Surg. 2018;1-10. doi: 10.1097.
- McIntosh J. Collagen: what is it and what are its uses? Medical News Today website. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/262881.php. Accessed November 13, 2018.
- Elastin (medical definition). MedicineNet website. https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=24541. Accessed November 13, 2018.
- Hyaluronic acid (medical definition). MedicineNet website. https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=25768. Accessed November 13, 2018.
- Luebberding S, Krueger N, Sadick NS. Cellulite: an evidence-based review. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2015;16(4):243-256.